Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Apple Oatmeal


One of the breakfast foods that Brody has been enjoying lately has been Earth's Best Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal. It had been on sale and I had coupons, so I bought some for convenience sake (especially if we were going to be having breakfast somewhere). The other day, I ran out of it, so I decided to make my own. Here's my go at it...


This recipe is free of milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish


Ingredients

1 cup Old Fashioned Oats

2 cup of water (or milk substitute such as rice milk)

1 apple chopped into small pieces (or other fruit such as peaches, pears, bananas, etc...be creative!)

a dash of cinnamon


Directions

Boil water, stir in oats and fruit of choice if it needs to be softened (a banana could be stirred in at the end), cook about 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir occasionally. Sprinkle a dash of cinnamon into oatmeal and serve.


*You could cut this recipe in half, but I wanted to make more so that I could keep it in a Tupperware container in my refrigerator and have breakfast ready in about 30 seconds. I put the amount of oatmeal that I want to use in a microwavable bowl, add some rice milk and heat for 30 seconds. Stir well. Adding the rice milk brings the consistency back to what you need (it will be hard and clumped together in the refrigerator). If the oatmeal is too warm, add some cold rice milk. I sprinkle with additional cinnamon and serve. So quick and easy...AND affordable!

Concerned about using oats if you are allergic to wheat? Read what Emily Harris who wrote Sophie-Safe Cooking has to say about oats for the wheat allergic individual
Apple OatmealSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails