Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Chicken, Black Beans & Rice and Plantains

I grew up in South Florida, so I love Cuban food. This meal always takes me back! Let me tell you, Brody can eat some black beans and rice! I LOVE it!

This recipe is free of milk, eggs, wheat, soy (if you do not serve the Publix brand platanos maduros), peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish

Chicken with Onions
Ingredients
4 Chicken breasts flattened (you can do this by putting your chicken in between two pieces of wax paper and then pounding it with a large can from your pantry).
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Coarse ground pepper
1/2 large onion (save other half to put into the beans) cut into thin slices
1 lime (save some lime juice to squeeze over top of the Platanos Maduros)

Directions
Rub olive oil on your chicken breasts and then grind your course ground pepper onto both sides. In a large skillet, cook your chicken breasts until cooked through and browned.

When you are done cooking your chicken, set aside. Put some olive oil in the pan and cook your onions until tender (I keep them covered while cooking...goes faster). Put onions in a bowl to serve on top of your chicken. Squeeze lime juice over top of chicken and onions when serving.

Black Beans and Rice
Ingredients
2 cans of black beans (frijoles negros) undrained
1/2 large onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, pressed
2 Tbsp distilled white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
Oregano (to taste) I throw some in from my garden, but dried will work just as well
Rice (4 servings)

Directions
Put a little bit of olive oil in the pot. Saute onions and garlic. Add beans, vinegar and oregano. Let simmer until thickened (approximately 20 minutes). Cook rice according to package. Put some rice on the plate and top with beans.

Platanos Maduros (Ripe Plantains)
*There is soy in the frozen Publix brand if you are allergic, but you could find a recipe and make from scratch if you are adventurous*
I buy these frozen from Publix, they are about $1.39 and go perfectly with this meal. Cook according to package and squeeze fresh lime juice over top when done. YUM! It's like having dessert with dinner...I promise! My boys eat these up!

If you do not have food allergies, serve with Guava Pastries (Publix has these in the bakery department)....oh my...if you are eating these...I am jealous! :) Serve with Cafe con Leche (Coffee and Milk) and you are good to go!
Chicken, Black Beans & Rice and PlantainsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails