Saturday, November 21, 2009

White Chicken Chili

My friend Katrina, passed this recipe on to me a while back and it is one of our winter favorites. This recipe is great because it can be cooked in the crockpot and can be made as mild or as spicy as you would like.

White Chicken Chili

This recipe is free of milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish

*DOUBLE THIS RECIPE TO MAKE A FULL CROCKPOT*

*3 cans (15 oz.) great northern beans or pinto beans- drained (I use dried beans because they are cheaper and I can control the salt...cook them according to directions and used them instead of canned)
*1 lb cooked chicken, chopped or torn into shreds
*1 small onion, chopped
*1 red, green, and/or yellow sweet pepper(s), chopped (I use red)
*1 jalapeno chili peppers- stemmed and chopped
*2 cloves of garlic, minced
*2 teaspoons cumin
*1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
*3.5 cups chicken broth (I normally just use the entire container of chicken broth 32 oz...Progresso 100% Natural Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth is Gluten Free)

We serve our white chicken chili with tortilla chips, fresh lime juice and fresh cilantro.
If you can have it, serve it with Monterrey jack or Cheddar cheese and sour cream

Directions
Cook the chicken in a little extra virgin olive oil. Combine all ingredients in the crock pot stirring in the chicken broth last. Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours or high heat for 4-5 hours.

*I always have extra stock on hand so towards the end of the cooking time, if I need to add more I can do that. You can determine how thick/thin you want your chili :)

White Chicken ChiliSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails