Monday, July 13, 2009

Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

This recipe is free of milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup rice milk (or other liquid that you can have)
2 cups oat flour (or regular flour if you can have it) If using oat flour: blend 2 cups of old fashioned oats in the blender or food processor...SO easy and inexpensive!
1/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. cinnamon (I think next time, I will use 1 tbsp of cinnamon, it was a little too much for me)

*I also added 1/3 cup of Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate chips (allergen free). You can add regular chocolate chips if you would like. Hey, they are already chocolate...why not add some more?

Directions:
Mix zucchini, sugar, oil, vanilla, vinegar, and rice milk. Add oat flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and mix until combined. Spoon into lined muffin cups.

Bake 350 for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.

The muffins were surprisingly moist and I couldn't taste the zucchini (recipe name threw me off at first). I thought they were good and will make them again. Next time, I will double the batch and freeze them so we have something convenient on hand (especially for Sundays as we are running out the door). Brock liked them also...I just finished wiping his chocolate face :)

*Disclaimer-I have not had carbs in a few weeks, so this was a special treat for me. They do not taste like Sam's/Costco chocolate muffins, but they are good. Also, they are great for using up zucchini in your garden if you are sick of roasting it and eating it for dinner :)

Tip: Shred some extra zucchini, measure it and put it in a labeled freezer bag so you will have on hand to make this recipe again.

Thanks Sophie-Safe Cooking for this yummy recipe!
Chocolate Zucchini MuffinsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails