Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Thai Lettuce Cups

This recipe is free of milk, eggs, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, fish and shellfish

Ingredients
1 tablespoon EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, cut into to strips
1/4 cup sweet chili sauce (mild sweet chili sauce, bought at Publix in the ethnic section)
1/4 cup honey (used local honey)
2 iceberg lettuce heads, cut in quarters and leaves gently removed for cups (used romaine hearts because they were on sale..served the purpose)
Juice of 1 lime
1 handful basil, chopped (used fresh basil from my garden...yum!)

Directions
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 1 turn of the pan of EVOO, about 1 tablespoon. Season the chicken with salt and ground black pepper, and cook in the pan until golden brown on all sides.
Add in the red pepper, and cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add in the chili sauce and honey, and reduce to coat the chicken.
To serve, lay the lettuce leaves out onto a platter then scoop some of the chicken mixture onto each leaf. Sprinkle with lime juice and fresh basil.

Serves 4

*I added crushed red pepper to my wraps because I like it spicy!!! :)

This recipe was VERY good. Brock chose to eat something else, but even Erik liked it (he was sceptical at first). If you wanted to, it would taste great as a stir fry; just add some stir fry veggies and serve over rice (white, brown or even jasmine would be yummy). The flavor of this meal is great! The basil in this meal makes it...I would try not to omit the fresh basil.

This recipe is from Rachael Ray-I omitted the peanuts to make it safe for us
Thai Lettuce CupsSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

2 comments:

  1. Very informative posts... sounds like you're living a delicious allergy free life over there! Yum is right!!

    Great pics of the boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for posting that recipe! We are going to try that soon!
    My son is allergic to eggs and peanuts, you have a couple more to deal with. Something I've learned in the last 9 months (my little one is 2 1/2) is that you can never be too careful, but your anxiety over the whole allergy thing will subside (some, ha!). You're doing a great job finding information, I saw your post at the FACTS blog.
    I use EnerG too, I make cookies and cakes and all sorts of yummies. The one thing I have noticed is that things tend to be crumbly (I dont know what it is like to cook with rice flour, oat flour...). To fix that problem I add a table spoon or two of apple sauce to the mix and it seems to work!
    It took me a while to figure that out and to feel like I could just add something like that to a recipe, but it really works. Good luck!
    www.easysite.com/klein
    miki

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails